Engaging Millennials at Your Event
Are you planning your next event? For many companies, millennials make up a huge chunk of the demographic. The millennial age group is 18-34 and is described as having very specific needs they want met from companies. This means companies have to work very hard to win their loyalty. At byPeterandPauls.com we understand the importance of engaging milleniannials at any event. This is why we have put together a fool proof list of ideas to help keep millennials interested and stimulated at your next event.
- Incorporate Social Media – Social media is an increasingly powerful tool and millennials are utilizing this tool now more than ever. The best ways to incorporate social media into your event is to use tweet walls. This is where all tweets using the event hashtag are seen in real time. Seeing others tweet about a certain subject provokes one to join in with his or her own tweet. Another way can be to include a selfie wall. This is a wall where selfies are uploaded in real time. Make sure whatever you do, you’re encouraging your audience to use your event or company hashtag.
- Make it Interactive – Millennials have short attention spans and if they are bored you will lose your audience really quickly. Breaking up the event with activities that require their participation can not only increase engagement but also increase the likelihood of them returning. A great way of doing this is incorporating ice breaker activities or making use of the latest technologies. Millennials are extremely tech oriented so the less pen and paper, the better. Think giant ipads, social media kiosks and cell phone charging stations.
- Make it Mobile Friendly – Most if not all millennials have a smartphone that rarely leaves their side. So, you can bet their phone will be in tow at your event. A great way to make your event mobile friendly is to optimise your web page for mobile use. Another idea could be to create an event app. An event app is customized to include booth set up, scheduled speakers, etc. Once downloaded, all can be accessed directly from the user’s smartphone. Giving the user an opportunity to avoid large check in line ups is also a great way to make use of smart phones; offer a digital check in to avoid over crowding and restless attendees.
- Hire a Millennial – Having someone on your team who is in this demographic will give you a better working knowledge of this age group. It also allows you to ask their opinion on what millennials will find interesting and get new ideas. Millennials are hard working and care about their community, so having them as apart of your team will likely allow you to reach this up and coming generation in a way that you may not have been able to before.
- Speak Their Language – It’s as simple as putting yourself in their shoes. Recognize what they’re looking for in a product or service and find creative ways to put it into practice. Millennials are very conscious about the community and environment so, think about their lifestyle and try to align your brand with those same principles in mind. After all, this is the generation of the future.
Did you find this post helpful? Do you have any other creative suggestions on how to engage millennials at your next event? Let us know in the comments below! Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to keep up to date on all the latest happenings!